Introduction to the Information Technology Security major in Canada
Information technology securityis a branch of information security in the field of computers and networks. Its purpose is to protect this information and property from theft, corruption, disasters, etc., while ensuring that the information and property can be accessed by authorized users. Computer security refers to a series of processes and mechanisms that contain sensitive and valuable information and services that are not disclosed, modified or damaged by unauthorized and untrusted individuals, groups or events.
Graduates of this major have a wide range of career choices in public and private sector organizations. Job titles include: System Security Analyst, Information Security Administrator, Computer Security Consultant, Web Security Specialist, Computer Forensics Expert, Digital Investigator, etc.
So, what skills do students in this major need?
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Creative and analytical thinking skills
- Ability to remain calm in times of crisis and work under pressure
- Research and investigation skills
- Eager to learn and face challenges
- Strong time management skills